Tuesday, May 31, 2011

William and Kate: Celebrating A Royal Engagement

William and Kate: Celebrating a Royal Engagement by Robin Nunn
Pavilion, 2010
144 pages
Non-fiction; Pictures
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Unlike the previous books I've read about the Royal Engagement, this book was originally more focused on Will until the realization of how important Kate is in his life.  Additionally this is more of a photo-essay book as large glossy pictures accompany the text.  Consequently the writing is much less in-depth and less important than the pictures.  There is no essay for the engagement photos other than the caption and date.

What is different is some "new" photographs of young William and his mother (I am not familiar with them, showing that they were not in the previous books I've read but they may be familiar to long-time royal watchers) and even some new ones of Kate.  There is also a brief chapter about modern royal marriages in Europe, with the examples of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Monaco, Spain, and Belgium, showing how commoner/royal marriages have been well-received in their countries and how they can serve as models.

I know it's been a month since the wedding itself but this was the first opportunity I had to schedule this book.  It's certainly worth at least a skim to see the pictures but the text does not really present anything new.

Cover: Her hair looks so good and the blue is such a gorgeous shade!

British Books Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I love the blue colour because it's so royal. Anyway, it seems this is not such a good book about them, but I'd love to read about modern marriages in other kingdoms. I'd love to know more about those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They got married on my 21st birthday.

    Nice blog.

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

    http://amysadumbrations.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...