Sunday, May 15, 2011

Whale Talk

Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher
Greenwillow Books, 2001
220 pages
YA; Contemporary
5/5 stars

Source: Library

Read for YA Overlooked Book Battle.

I loved this book!  I wasn't sure about it going in because it's told from a male perspective and the synopsis mentioned sports, which is not my biggest interest.  However I completely fell for TJ and his quest to fight racism and the jock bullies who dominate his high school.  In order to do this, he assembles the unlikeliest bunch of guys in his school to form a swim team.

I can't begin to express how much I adored this book but a large part of that was because of the character TJ. He narrates the book providing insight into how he thinks and he's pretty aware of his motivations for his actions.  When he was happy, I was happy; when he was angry, I was upset.  I loved that he was an upright character who was concerned to continue being so.

My one tiny quibble was toward the end, when I cried because I could not believe what had happened.  I would have preferred that scene didn't happen but I completely understand why it was included.

Overall: Go read this! Now!

Cover: TJ is black, Japanese, and white but that guy looks mostly white to me so it's not entirely accurate.  I'm also not sure why he's running instead of swimming.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, 5 stars! You really enjoyed the book - I'll go check it out on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Crutcher is one of my all time favorite writers. I especially adored Crazy Horse Electric Game and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. But any of his books are good reads. I have not read Whale Talk so I will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one - it sounds really interesting. I may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...