Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rites of Spring

Rites of Spring by Modris Eksteins
First Mariner Books, 2000
Originally published 1989
331 pages
Non-fiction; History; WWI
4/5 stars

Summary: A new examination of WWI, its origins, actions, and aftermath on the twentieth century.

Thoughts: I read this for class and I enjoyed it a lot.  It's not too scholarly (ie not esoteric) but it is in depth looking at motivations for war on all sides, art, literature, the battles, etc. as well as looking at the end and the lead up to Hitler.  I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to be a WWI scholar to follow what was happening.

One problem I had was that he had the war ending and then jumped ahead to Charles Lindbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic, which skipped almost ten years.  I'm not sure I understand the reason for doing so.

Overall: An interesting cultural history of WWI.

1 comment:

  1. I know quite a bit about WWII, but not so much about WWI, so such a not-too-scholarly take on this period sounds right for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...