Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Deathly Hallows Lectures

The Deathly Hallows Lectures by John Granger
Zossima, 2008
276 pages
Non-fiction; Harry Potter
2/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: An examination of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to look at its multiple layers and meanings and argue for the greater significance of these children's books.

Thoughts: I had read some other Granger books and while there were some boring sections, I thought it would be worth it to read some more.  I was wrong-I was so bored and I struggled to finish it (I'm not sure why I didn't just give up).  I liked the parts where he actually talks about Harry but not the long discussions about alchemical literature and I did not enjoy the exhortations to buy his other books.

The part I liked the most was the FAQ at the end. It was shorter and focused more on the books instead of the possible influences.

Overall: Boring; not recommended.

Cover: Combines Harry with lecturing in a cute way.

1 comment:

  1. I think that sometimes, people dig too deep into literature. They forget that most of it was written primarily for fun. It would be cool to read the FAQ though. I like interesting behind-the-scenes facts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...