Thursday, February 10, 2011

Click

Click Edited by Courtney E. Martin and J. Courtney Sullivan
Seal Press, 2010
226 pages
Non-fiction; Feminism
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: A collection of essays from some well-known feminists describing the "click" that made them know they were feminists.

Thoughts: I saw several reviews of this and I was really looking forward to it.  While all of the essays were readable, none of them worked for me.

I saw many commonalities across the essays: women who rebelled against gender constraints, women supported by other women in the feminist movement, women proud of being a feminist, women who are outspoken and confident.

But I didn't feel any connection to the stories.  I didn't see my "click" moment represented.  Now that's partly because I'm not entirely sure when that was and I know that I would be unable to write something as well as these feminists.  But I think I wanted to find someone very similar to me with whom I could identify and I didn't.

Overall: Some good stories, all well-written, but none that "clicked" with me.

Cover: I really like the colors but it's nothing exceptional.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting premise, the "click" idea. I guess it's hard to pinpoint when exactly you became interested in something, but it should be interesting to discover it. Too bad this book doesn't "click" so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...