Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises-Some Thoughts


Like many people, I eagerly went out to see Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises. Sadly this movie has become part of a tragedy with that gunman killing appearing at a midnight showing in Colorado. My deepest sympathies are with the survivors and family members as they mourn their losses.

Going in to the film, I had some worries. I wasn't sure I would be able to understand the villain Bane's speaking voice with the mask over his mouth. I was terrified of the long running time (2 hours, 45 minutes). And I was wondering if this could possibly top The Dark Knight, a tremendously amazing picture that only keeps improving, the more I watch it.

Of those three concerns, the first one was eased early on. I thought Bane was very clear and easy to understand-this comes from someone who always puts subtitles on if they're available because I often need a little help. In my theater, he sounded a little louder than the other characters and I was able to understand almost everything he said (there were some trouble spots at the end).

I did think the movie was a tad on the long side. I was fully absorbed in the film (unlike, say, Avatar where I fell asleep) except for some stretches in the middle. The climatic scenes were excellent and I loved the ending although there was some ambiguity (highlight to read spoiler: I would have liked to see JGL as Robin and then to step up in to the Batman role. I loved loved loved Alfred seeing Selina and Bruce at the end though :)

However at the moment I still prefer The Dark Knight with its more charismatic villain and what felt like a tighter plot. Saying that I did not like the film very much after my first viewing, feeling overwhelmed by the darkness. It is entirely possible that this will become my favorite of the trilogy due to my favorite character.

As you might guess from the picture, my very favorite character was Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle (Catwoman). In my opinion, every time she appeared, the movie pepped up from her energy. She's slinky with some killer black dresses, red lips, and crazy long legs (seriously impressive legs-I'm totally using them as inspiration for my exercise regime). Her hair was never mussed and she remained poised in every situation. I love Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman so I'm not comfortable saying that either is my favorite but I'm fine saying they are tied.

Did you see The Dark Knight Rises this weekend? What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. Great review!! I'm gonna see this movie next week and I can't wait!! XD Anne Hathaway is one of my actresses and has been for such a long time - ever since I saw Ella Enchanted! :') And Christian Bale??? OMG he's sooo... HOT... for lack of better word :P *fans self* LOL Using Anne Hathaway's legs for motivation for your exercise regime?? Genius!! <333 Lovely review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I will like this movie but I hope to see it anyway. After all, I was surprised by how much I liked The Amazing Spider-Man.

    Cat Woman was one of my favorite characters when I was a kid even though I wasn't a fan of Michelle Pfeiffer's portrayal. I am curious to see how Anne Hathaway will interpret the character.

    I doubt anyone will think this movie could top The Dark Knight but if it is entertaining, I will like it anyway at least more than the older Batman films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie wasn't on my "looking forward to it list", but mostly because there has been such little hype about it - I felt as if I never saw a preview for it before the movie. I went to see it on Saturday morning, and was feeling anxious for quite awhile after the Colorado tragedy. Since my boyfriend and son were dying to see it - that's the main reason I saw it in the theater, and I wasn't disappointed. (BTW - Avatar put me to sleep as well - ugh!)

    I couldn't keep my eyes off of Selina - I want her under corsets and legs, that's for sure! I got teary eyed in scenes and was happy to see so many little bit parts played by actors I know from other shows. Funny how some characters play cops every single time I see them!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually walked past the filming of a scene from this movie last year when I was walking my dog. I had no idea what movie it was so I went home and looked it up on the internet.
    I haven't seen the Dark Knight, but maybe I'll get that on Netflix and check this one out.
    The shooting was so horrible -- my heart goes out to all those families affected.
    Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this movie the day after the shooting (terrible, terrible..) and security was in the movie theater so I was a bit freaked out while watching. However, I really enjoyed the movie and I agree with your spoiler:) Catwomen was my favorite character too and I loved how she was kick-butt. Awesome movie review!
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. I really enjoyed Bane. I think Tom Hardy did a great job. I actually did the trilogy showing at my theater...where I saw Batman Begins and The Dark Knight before the new one, so the last one may have been long, but I had 9 hours of Batman total. LOL It was fun though!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it yet myself, but I'm looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...